Friday, December 23, 2005

The deeper meaning of Christmas

You know I love all the Santa sites. I've spent time on dozens of them, dressing up snowmen, decorating trees and helping ol' Kris Kringle pack his sleigh full of magical surprises for all the good little girls and boys. (And a few slightly naughty adults as well.)

But, as in pervious years, I've reserved this final column before Christmas to share with my Christian readers the sites that have left the seasonal side of the

day behind. Rather than holiday fun and gift giving, these sites concentrate on

the holy day and the great gift that was received.

www.christmasincyberspace.com. This is for those of you who feel strongly that the Santa side of Christmas has gotten out of hand. As they put it: "This site is designed to provide a spiritual alternative to the runaway commercialization of one of our faith's most sacred times. You'll find no Santa sites here - just the Good News!"

www.carols.org.uk. Each year I receive requests from readers for sites with music and words to Christmas songs and carols. I am always happy to respond. I may not have the range for "O Holy Night," and I might not know all the verses to "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear," and my voice unquestionably will waver and break when I remember my father as I sing his favorite, "Little Drummer Boy." The truth is, I don't care. I love singing these songs. It fills my heart with a joy like none other.

http://deckernet.com/shed/steam.htm. I obviously can't sing along with the Mannheim Steamroller versions of my favorite carols, but that doesn't mean I love them any less (a truth attested to by the fact that I can be seen doing a fairly flamboyant Paavo Jarvi imitation whenever one comes on the car radio). This page offers several midi-versions of some of the group's classics, along with a link for those who long for the originals.

www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=768. This article from the "Catholic Hearth" is beautifully written. It is also filled with wonderful ideas about ways to rededicate the seemingly secular trappings of the holiday and to use them instead as reminders of the deeper meaning of the day.

http://ambaka.com/christms/start.html. This is slightly outside the bounds of "traditional" when it comes to the art (fractals, framed by "stamp" block borders and color enhanced via computer program). Still, the text is from the Bible and the art, while a bit jarring, is nonetheless beautiful.

www.whychristmas.com/story/full.shtml. There are other things on this site, but this page, the "full story" of the birth of Christ, was written to be shared with children. Another version of each section of the story is also included with an annotated text that helps explain unfamiliar terms, unclear passages and put the facts in context with the time in which they occurred.

www.mymerrychristmas.com. This site too has other sections that deal with the "S" word, (including a story about a Mason, Ohio, man to be found in the "Christmas Present" area in the "News" section). But you'll also find many wonderful stories about the miracles of the season in the "Christmas Past" area.

www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?

pageID=38. Although this site does mention Santa Claus, it is only to differentiate between the popular icon and the original St. Nicolas.

www.appleseeds.org/Christmas-quotes.htm. Finally, I share with you this collection of words, composed by many people. I offer them in the hope that you will choose to read through them until you find the one that most speaks to your heart - and then speak the words yourself, sharing them with those you care about. Blessings to all.

Shankar sends heartfelt wishes for a loving and peaceful Christmas to all those who celebrate the day, no matter where they are in the world. My Address is shankar_5580@yahoo.com

No comments: